I always try to take time out of my busy holiday schedule to do something fun with my boys. There is something so magical about creating something as a family that can be shared during the Christmas season. This year, we decided to make cinnamon and applesauce cutout ornaments. These are super simple to make, great to do with the kids and make your house smell amazing! Here is how to create these adorable and festive ornaments:
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-1 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- toothpick or skewer
- cookie cutters
- cookie sheet
- sheet of parchment paper
- ribbon or twine
- Preheat oven to 200° F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the applesauce and cinnamon. It may take a few minutes for the mixture to come together. You want the dough to be able to form a ball without being too sticky. Add additional applesauce or cinnamon if needed to create the right consistency. You can mix the dough by hand, it may just take longer.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with cinnamon (like you would with flour while rolling out pie dough). Place the dough on the surface and sprinkle with more cinnamon. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick, sprinkling with more cinnamon to keep from sticking.
- Use cookie cutters to cut desired shapes and place on the prepared sheet pan so that they aren’t touching. Use a toothpick or skewer to poke a hole into each ornament (to attach string). Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until rock hard.
- Loop a decorative string through the ornament and hang on your tree
Note: DO NOT EAT. These ornaments are not intended for human consumption.