It’s Tuesday which means only one thing… TACOS! Taco Tuesday! It’s my favorite dish, so it was a no-brainer that I was going to share my homemade taco seasoning recipe with you.
Photo by: Mrsiraphol
Store bought seasoning packets are quick and easy, but once you’ve made your own blend — you won’t go back! This homemade taco seasoning is quick, easy, inexpensive, and packed with way more flavor than it’s store bought counterpart. I personally have a sensitivity to high sodium foods. This was a perfect way to still enjoy my favorite dish, but tailor the recipe to my dietary needs.
Why you should make your own taco seasoning vs buying store seasoning packets?
- You can adjust the seasoning to your own taste. Make it spicer, make it less salt. Play with the mixture until it’s perfect for you.
- Make larger or smaller quantities to fit your needs. I like making a lot at one time so I always have it on hand. It keeps for quite awhile as long as you keep it stored in an air tight container.
- Cut out all of the unhealthy additives, preservatives, and food coloring. Who needs all that extra junk? Not only is homemade better for you, it tastes better too!
- Get rid of all of that extra sodium. The homemade version has a lot less salt than it’s store counterpart. If you’re on a low sodium diet substitute regular salt with a low sodium alternative.
How to Make it:
To make this recipe even easier, the 8 ingredients are all equal parts. If you want to make an even bigger batch just make sure all eight parts measure out to be the same.
Fenway Taco Seasoning Recipe
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili peper
1 tsp Sazon Goya
Measure out all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Then taste and adjust the salt or spices as desired. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
More than just tacos!
This seasoning recipe is very versatile and can be used on so much more than taco meat. Here are a couple of great ideas:
- Pan-roast some raw almonds with a tablespoon of olive oil and a couple teaspoons of taco seasoning.
- Grill marinate boneless/skinless chicken breasts with olive oil and a generous helping of taco seasoning.
- Taco Dip! 8oz of sour cream, 8oz of room temp cream cheese, a couple tablespoons of taco seasoning. Blend until smooth and dip with your favorite tortilla chip. Yum!